Wednesday, July 18, 2007

BULLS RESIGN NOCIONI




July 18, 2007 (updated) – The Chicago Bulls announced today that the team has re-signed forward Andrés Nocioni to a multi-year extension. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“We are very happy to have Andrés remain a member of our organization. During his three seasons with us, he has played a key role to help change the culture of our team,” said Bulls Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson. “His passion and energy for the game of basketball are second to none, and he has been a key member of our team because of that.”

Nocioni, who missed a total of 28 games last season with right foot plantar fasciitis (02/05-02/20, 02/23-04/06), said on Wednesday that he is focused on getting his foot ready for the start of the season and will not be playing for Argentina in this summer’s FIBA Americas Championship tournament in Las Vegas.

“I’m going to practice for myself,” he said of his summer plans. “I know that in Argentina the media is starting to talk about if I’ll play with the national team now that I’ve started to exercise and practice a little bit. But it’s almost impossible. I want to play for the national team, but my leg is not normal. It is not strong enough to play basketball right now.”

Nocioni has lost 10 pounds to maximize his recovery, but the drop in pounds is just for the summer. He hopes to bulk up to a playing weight of 230-235 pounds for the regular season. Lately, he has been shooting more and more and says things feel “right.” However, the 6-foot-7 forward is carefully keeping his enthusiasm to be back at full speed in check.

“Right now I feel like I can do whatever I want,” Nocioni said of his foot injury. “But I want to take care of it. I don’t want to have any problems. So my exercises have been light. I’ve been doing some running on the court and I feel good. I feel normal. It’s much better.”

While there was talk of the Grizzlies showing interest in Nocioni this summer, the high-energy forward said there was nothing to it and that he was certain he would be back in Chicago.

“It was really quick; we just talked for a little bit. I was doing my job and Memphis was doing theirs. My dream is to play in Chicago for the Bulls. My agent and everybody knew that. I feel great in this organization and I love this team. I want to leave everything on the court for the Chicago Bulls.”

When asked if he spoke with Pau Gasol, the Grizzlies star power forward and a native of Spain, during his contact with Memphis, Nocioni confirmed that they had been in touch. But it was not to talk hoops or how he might fit in with the Grizzlies.

“We were talking about Barcelona—the city and the weather,” he said. “We didn’t talk about basketball though. Why? It’s not his job to recruit me.”

The extension of Nocioni coincided with the signing of Joe Smith, a 12-year veteran who was the Bulls’ No. 1 target from this summer’s free agency pool.

“He’s a great player and he’s the same kind of player as P.J. Brown,” Nocioni said of his new teammate. “I believe he can do even better though. He’s a very impressive guy and he plays with a lot of heart and passion. I like that, when somebody plays for the love of the basketball game.”

At the end of the day, Nocioni is glad to remain with an Eastern Conference contender.

“I’m very grateful to be with this organization,” he stated. “I like playing for Scott Skiles and with my friends on the team. I think we have a great thing and we’re a much better team than last year. We hope to go deep into the playoffs.”

Nocioni, 28, is preparing for his fourth NBA season since the Bulls signed him as an undrafted free agent on Aug. 11, 2004. In his three seasons with Chicago, he has started 112 of his 216 regular season appearances and has posted career averages of 11.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg and 1.4 apg in 25.6 mpg. He has shot .445 from the field, including .364 from behind the arc, and .816 from the free throw line.

Last year with the Bulls, Nocioni averaged a career-best 14.1 ppg, 5.7 rpg and 1.1 apg in 26.5 mpg and shot .467 from the field, .383 from three-point range (39th in the NBA) and .848 from the line. During Chicago’s playoff run, he appeared in all 10 postseason contests and averaged 8.8 ppg and 3.5 rpg in 19.7 mpg.

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=a20aaf78ab953dd079a148ff83c4aa55