Thursday, May 22, 2008

Zambrotta to leave?

Barcelona defender Gianluca Zambrotta admits it is tough to see his name being touted among the list of players who could be leaving the Nou Camp this summer.

With Barca having just completed their second successive trophy-less season, widespread changes are anticipated at the Catalan giants before the new term.

Coach Frank Rijkaard has already been moved on, with reserve-team boss Pep Guardiola his replacement, while sporting director Txiki Begiristain announced on Monday there would be plenty of amendments to the playing squad.

Media speculation suggests the futures of up to a dozen Barca players are up in the air - including Italy full-back Zambrotta.

The 31-year-old World Cup winner said of that speculation: "It is a difficult moment in every aspect. Nobody knows anything about what is going to happen.

"The truth is I don't think it's most appropriate seeing my name in the (media) list of players leaving because I don't deserve to be there.

"I have already said before that you need to look at yourself and if in one or two years you have done all that you can then there is no problem."

Zambrotta, who joined Barca from Juventus in 2006, does admit though that he does not know where he will be plying his trade next season.

When asked if he will be playing alongside Ronaldinho somewhere in Italy, he said: "I don't know what the club (Barca) thinks about me. I have seen many things regarding AC Milan but I don't know because I have not spoken with either the board or with Txiki Begiristain.

"I have a contract until 2010 and as I said last year I would like to end my career in Italy and at home but still I don't know anything.

"Now I am not thinking about this because I don't know what is going to happen with me. It does not only depend on me."

He added: "I don't know if the new coach is going to count on me or not. We shall see."

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=a20aaf78ab953dd079a148ff83c4aa55