Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Bookies banking on Woods return

Woods is playing for the first time since knee surgery in April and will be out to prevent a repeat of the last time he was off between the Masters and the US Open in 2006. Woods missed the cut at Winged Foot but this time around the US Open is at Torrey Pines which amounts to a home game for the world number one.

Of his troublesome knee, he said: "It's a little sore, but not anything I haven't dealt with before. I'm good to go and I plan on playing competitively. Come game time on Thursday, I'll be ready."

Woods has good memories of the course. in 1991 he was 15 when he won the Junior World Championship 15-17 division and has also triumphed six times as a professional on the public course, including in each of the last four seasons in the Buick Invitational.

"The golf course is in perfect shape," Woods said.

"It's totally different than what we play here in January. It's going to be a great test. The way they have set it up with different tees, different lengths. It can play so many different ways that it's going to be very interesting to see how the scores turn out."

Having come back from his surgery, Woods knows he needs to hit the fairways and putt well if he is to triumph on Sunday.

He added: "I've come closer, I think, in more Opens. I've had a lot of high finishes in US Opens, but I've won only two.

"If you look at my record, it's actually been pretty good over the years. Since 2000, I've had some pretty high finishes, but I've only won one since 2000. But I've been there on the back nine on most of them."

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=a20aaf78ab953dd079a148ff83c4aa55