Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wie qualitfies over the US Open

Wie shot a 4-under-par 137 during a sectional qualifying event on Monday, clinching a spot in this year's U.S. Open at Interlachen in Minnesota later this month.

The 18-year-old Wie finished one shot behind Kelli Kuehne in the event, which saw each participant play 18 holes at both the Woodmont Country Club and Manor Country Club. She birdied three of her final four holes at Woodmont to finish at 1-under 70 before carding a 3-under 67 at the Manor.

"It feels good to be playing good again," Wie said. "I'm pretty pleased with my round and I'm really happy to be playing at the U.S. Open."

Wie is coming off a sixth-place finish at the Ladies German Open last week. Prior to that outing, she had struggled, missing the cut in four of seven events after being forced to withdraw from the 2007 U.S. Open due to a wrist injury.

"When you are struggling week after week, it takes a toll on your confidence," Wie said. "Nobody really gave up on me. My managers, (coach David Leadbetter), my parents, my trainer, everyone, they never gave up on me. They are always telling me, 'You are going to get through it and you are going to get better,' and I feel like I've put in a lot of hard work. I'm glad it's starting to show."

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=a20aaf78ab953dd079a148ff83c4aa55